Job Title: Senior Operations Manager
Employee Type: Full Time
Reports to: Director - Marketing, Development and Operations
Posting Date: August 1st, 2013
Closing Date: Until position is filled. Apply early.
Purpose of Role:
To contribute to MEG Energy Corp’s success by managing the Operations Teams for the following commercial facilities that includes the Stonefell Terminal, a Dilbit Processing unit, and the Bruderheim Pipeline. In addition, the position includes operations management for a demonstration scale facility for MEG’s HI-QTM manufactured crude processing facility.
The Stonefell terminal, with planned storage capacity of 900,000 barrels northeast of Edmonton and the Bruderheim pipeline projects are currently in construction and will enter into operations in late 2013. The Bruderheim pipeline project will connect MEG’s various local operations to the Access pipeline (partially owned by MEG Energy) that ships MEG produced dilbit from Christina Lake. The operation and maintenance of these facilities will be the responsibility of the person selected for this position.
The Dilbit Process Unit project will be constructed at the same location as the HI-QTM project, in the Industrial Heartland east of Edmonton. This is a facility that will support the Stonefell terminal operations used to store and transport diluted bitumen (dilbit) from oil sands (SAGD) production. The current time frame for this project is for construction to begin in 2014 with a 2015 completion.
The HI-QTM Project is a 1500 bpd bitumen processing demonstration plant using a proprietary, low complexity internally developed process to produce pipeline transportable bitumen. The project will begin construction in the third quarter this year and is expected to be placed into operation December 2014. The person selected for this position will be expected to support the construction, commissioning, and start up of the plant, and prepare the personnel, systems, practices, and procedures for the initial operation of the HI-QTM plant. The plant design allows for MEG to increase the throughput to 3000 bpd. The successful demonstration of this process will lead to a larger commercial upgrading facility being developed and installed in the same area. It is envisioned that the commercial scale HI-QTM facility when constructed would be included in the scope of this position.
The key responsibilities for this senior position are to manage:
- HS&E for all the Operations facilities – HI-QTM, DRU, Stonefell Terminal, and Bruderheim Pipeline
- Safe Operational activities
- Safety Pro-Active Compliance
- Employee health
- Equipment Process Safety
- Environmental Pro-Active Compliance
- Annual and 5-year plans for operating facilities
- Budget development, management, and reporting
- Production and Production Quality
- Maintenance & Materials Management
- Contracts Management
- Team and personnel management and development
- Administration and Document Control management
- Minimum 20 years in operations – Process operations preferred
- Minimum 5 years with management responsibilities
- Engineering degree or equivalent
Skills and Knowledge:
- Process Safety Management
- Process plant operations and maintenance
- Contracts and Contract management
- Production planning
- Materials Management
- Personnel and organizational development, staffing and succession planning
- Commissioning and Start-up experience desired
- Managing the Transition from Project to Operations
- Ability to work within a larger team to gain and provide coordination, communications, and collaboration
- Strong leadership
- Supportive for new technology use in operations
- Technically capable related to process operations