Position Title: Data Architect
Reports to: Architecture & Governance Team Lead
Posting date : October 7th, 2013
Closing date: October 21, 2013
- Develops the vision around design and management of data as it pertains to the business strategy.
- Designs data models and architectural plans as per a project’s requirements.
- Develops data security policies in conjunction with other security focused IT resources as per regulatory guidelines and project needs and ensures guidelines are followed.
- Collaborates with other architecture team members to formulate joint holistic architecture designs.
- Produces Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD) designs according to best practices on data design.
- Provides mentorship and support to the existing DBA team at MEG Energy through example and guidance.
- Contributes to the ongoing and evolving architecture practice at MEG Energy.
- Develops design documentation around data integration between systems leveraging technology best suited for MEG Energy, and communicates that with integration development teams.
- Works closely with the IT Leadership team (ITLT) in developing short and long-range plans, and reviews these plans with the ITLT as required.
- Interprets business requests into a working technical solution
- Ensures solution designs are compliant with target architectures and standards and are produced to the right standard and quality
- Ensures the correct framework and resources are in place to achieve success around the solution
- Formulates decisions and roadmaps for an ongoing sustainable platform that meets the needs of the solution today and as the environment evolves.
- Facilitates any interaction with 3rd party vendors and ensure a quality of work that matches internal standards and quality levels.
- Provides consultation, advice and mentorship to implementation teams allowing for successful implementation of determined architectures and support on architecture best practices and troubleshooting.
- Provides BRM support for projects.
- Supports build vs. buy decisions and consider "ever-greening" objectives.
- Assesses technologies in place to ensure their applicability and acceptability to the organization on an ongoing basis and translate that fit and future on to IT roadmaps
- Understand that decisions made regarding architecture roadmap and overall architecture management activities have a significant impact on other IT and Enterprise Wide areas.
- Identifies implementation risks; analyzes potential impact to enterprise and scheduled objectives; develops, submits and maintains enterprise critical path schedules; and initiates action to correct any deviations from this schedule.
- Provide input to staffing plans at the project-level to identify key / required skills
- Develop and implement methodologies and techniques that improve efficiency and enhance productivity of the team.
- Define target technical architectures for use across the MEG Energy enterprise.
- Define and provide technical architecture standards and tools for use in the development of solutions for IT.
- Define the mid and long-term technology direction based on strategy developed in concert with the IT Leadership Team for area of responsibility:
- 1-3 year project and operational plans.
- 3-5 year strategic direction setting for areas of responsibility
- Ensure a team approach in that all defined architectures, designs and road-maps are in line with team, IT and business strategy.
- Ensure risk, security and regulatory compliance requirements are considered in high level designs.
- Prepare order-of-magnitude high level resource and time-line estimates
- Develop and execute solution strategies and business plans to support growth
- Shape, design, and plan specific technology solutions
- Spearhead internal promotion and uptake of designed solutions
- Conduct solution analysis to compare solutions against IT strategy road-map, presently implemented technologies and business requirements.
- Develop and maintain architecture documentation including but not limited to technical standards, architecture diagrams (logical and physical), solution designs and solution selections.
- Lead new initiatives and contribute to new strategy and existing strategy improvement.
- Seek detailed design details from implementation teams.
- Ensure adequate and proper production of materials and products supporting any proposed and implemented solution.
- Regular contact is required with other IT Leaders and as necessary other organizational levels to make architecture decisions
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or similar post-secondary education from a university or technical institution with formalized education on development, infrastructure or similar discipline.
- MCDBA (Microsoft Certified Database Administrator) or similar certification on technologies that the role will directly work with.
- TOGAF or other architecture certification an asset.
- Greater than 10 years of experience in IT with no less than 5 having been with enterprise-class mature organizations/departments.
- At least 1 full BI implementation, multiple preferred.
- Previous experience in database administration with Oracle or MSSQL Server including experience with database server setup and clustering.
- Previous experience in database design, creation and development of functions, stored procedures and triggers.
- Previous experience of Business Intelligence packages, ETL tools, data warehousing and data analysis.
- Previous experience of designing and or developing systems integration packages.
- Previous experience with the formulation of technical solution strategies and ideas.
- Extensively developed written and oral communication skills with specific focus on peer-to-peer and peer-to-senior management communication.
- Deeply developed problem solving and troubleshooting skills based on analytical thought processes.
- An understanding of server and other basic infrastructure architecture.
- Understanding of the Software Development Life-cycle (SDLC).
- Strong organization, planning and time management skills.
- Self-direction and innovation.