Job Title: Geologist
Employee Type: Permanent, Full-time
Reports to: VP Resource Development
Posting Date: May 5, 2014
Closing Date: July 1, 2014
Location: Calgary, Alberta
For further information on this and other employment opportunities, please contact:
Web site: www.megenergy.com
Purpose of Role:
Contribute to the success of MEG Energy Corp’s oil sands projects by providing technical expertise in the area of Geological Sciences. As a key member of the Geology Team, you will use your expertise to support MEG’s growth efforts in both oil sands and natural gas exploration and development.
- Part of the multidisciplinary team working on developing MEG’s Oil Sands Projects including evaluation and horizontal wells planning.
- Provide input for capital and operating budgets.
- Supervise and provide technical support for core hole delineation programs and horizontal well drilling.
- Conduct geological evaluations for land sales, expiries, continuations, farm-in, farm-outs and acquisitions for oil sands and petroleum and natural gas over MEG’s areas of interest.
- Prepare regulatory advanced ruling and land continuation applications and participate in meetings with the DOE.
- Support and mentor staff across the organization.
- Provide guidance to other project geologists for gas pool evaluations.
- Make recommendation for hiring of and coordinate and supervise work done by geological consultants.
- Participate in peer reviews for technical work done by G&G staff.
Skills and Knowledge:
- A relevant degree in Geology from an accredited university.
- Completed or working towards a being a Registered Professional Geologist.
- Minimum 8 years of geological experience with minimum 3 years in the development of a thermal horizontal well project in the oil sands of Alberta is required.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiar with Geoscout and Petra geological software. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of horizontal drilling operations and LWD interpretation.
- A demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and positive influencing behaviors are required.
- Ability to multitask in a fast paced working environment.